Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/video/2008/oct/07/mental.health.tv.advertising



JUST FUCK OFF

I eat well - I keep in touch with the friends who haven't proved themselves prejudiced lightweight wankers - I keep fit - I even shave every day or so - I just can't stop my fucking head exploding.

God - just give me the tv wankers who made that - just five minutes - where's my smithfields meatcleaver? Only joking!!!

ARGGGHHH!
-----------------
edit:

Dear -------, please could you direct the following towards the individuals responsible for this repugnant tv advertisement.

I have just viewed the said commercial on the Guardian website and I am utterly disgusted. There is enough stigma out there without this sort of dreadful stereotyping. For goodness sake! Some of us actually look dapper, keep active and eat with our mouths closed! It is so loaded with negative projections about the mentally ill that it is almost impossible to know where to start. But in a nutshell, ill = sad disgusting slob; well = successful family man. That is precisely the sort of false dichotomy the mentally ill have to fight against all the time.

I'm sorry to send this via you, but you were the contact on the mhf site article.

I look forward to a response.

I am also sending a complaint to the ASA, something I have never even dreamed I would ever do in my life. Seriously, I am really, really shocked and disgusted.

Yours, Abysmal Musings, (not of Tunbridge Wells, but by god I feel like moving there).

-----------------
edit again:

Christ, there are more films by them: http://www.wellbeingeast.co.uk/tvfilms.php5 I can't stomach this patronising shit. It reminds me of that scene from Pasolini's Salo. It would be comical, if it wasn't such pernicious pestilential crap.
---------------
yet more:

complaint to advertising standards authority: (click here for the form: http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/)

"It is a deeply prejudicial advertisement that incites bias against the mentally ill through negative stereotyping.

"It is so loaded with negative projections about the mentally ill that it is almost impossible to know where to start. But in a nutshell, mentally ill = sad disgusting slob; mentally well = successful family man. That is precisely the sort of false dichotomy the mentally ill have to fight against all the time.

"If an ethnic minority was substituted for the mentally ill, the advertisement would be illegal."

3 comments:

Lola Snow said...

I had to stop myself watching that clip, because I have a horrible feeling it is produced by the go-out-in-the-fresh-air-and-look-at-the-pretty-flowers-to-cure-your-depression-fraternity.
Was I right?
I could do unspeakably cruel things to those ignorant cretins. Just give me five minutes alone in a room with them, a cheese grater and a bag of salt and vinegar crisps.
Lola

Abysmal Musings said...

five minutes isn't long enough

five years isn't long enough

Terra Incognita said...

SO, to get out of the current depression I'm in, the next time I'm on the cell phone, I should go sit on the local merry go round and have a couple spins, is that it?
Hm. Wonder if I could do that without puking.
Fun.
Hugs
Terra