Thursday, 8 January 2009

Resolutions

I was feeling rather fed up with the whole new-years resolution rubbish - after all, what's the point? I'm only going to forget I made them, or decide in a completely different state of mind that they weren't worth making. So I decided to make a completely useless resolution just to irritate people: to read the Tarot once a day. Thankfully I can't find them tonight, so heigh ho, there we go!

I did make another resolution, to wit: to make some more useful resolutions. Anyway, first couple on the list:

i) Give the pills a go without starting and stopping and fucking around with the dosages for three months and see if they actually do some good.

ii) Give up drink for three months. After the last eighteen months my body could do with the rest I imagine.

iii) Get to bed at a sensible hour - ha ha ha ha ha.

iv) Cut down the smokes to ten a day (actually already done that).

Well, they'll do for starters. I've been feeling quite crappy the last few days. Nothing like Depakote for making you feel about twenty years older overnight.

What else is new? Read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde this evening. I'd never read it before. Better than I imagined it would be. I especially liked this:

"The most racking pangs succeeded: a grinding in the bones, deadly nausea, and a horror of the spirit that cannot be exceeded at the hour of birth or death. Then these agonies began swiftly to subside, and I came to myself as if out of a great sickness. There was something strange in my sensations, something indescribably new and, from its very novelty, incredibly sweet. I felt younger, lighter, happier in body; within I was conscious of a heady recklessness, a current of disordered sensual images running like a millrace in my fancy, a solution of the bonds of obligation, an unknown but not an innocent freedom of the soul. I knew myself, at the first breath of this new life, to be more wicked, tenfold more wicked, sold a slave to my original evil; and the thought, in that moment, braced and delighted me like wine."

Oh well, enough. Keep safe all.

6 comments:

Lola Snow said...

I think I got your extra smokes, I wonder if that is the way it works? The vice Karma. One person cuts back on something, and the balance must be maintained to preserve the fine balance of the bad habits equalibrium?

Lola x

LoopyKate said...

Funny that. They're the exact same resolutions that I would have made, had I felt that way inclined. Apart from the only really compelling one - reading the tarot. That sounds like alot of fun.
K.x

Immi said...

Go to bed at a sensible hour. That's the one I hate most and have the hardest time keeping going. I know I feel better when I sleep at night and am up during the day, but it is so unnatural to me. Good luck with it, it really can help, just very weird.

differentlysane said...

The only resolution I have ever made is not to make any resolutions. And yes I'm aware of the contradiction in terms.

Abysmal Musings said...

Very sensible, all. I don't think I'd like the person I'd think I would have to become if I found I was capable of sticking to a resolution no matter what.

New resolution, stop convoluting words.

What did I just mean? I think I prefer my harum-scarum ways. But, let's see...

Terra Incognita said...

I don't make resolutions. Just declarations. Like, I WILL, dammit. Because the consequence of NOT sucks worse.