Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Dreamers of the Day

The first quotation I scribbled on the wall of the first room I could really call my own. (Sorry Juliet the landlady - I did my best to scrub them all off when I left).
This, therefore, is a faded dream of the time when I went down into the dust and noise of the Eastern market-place, and with my brain and muscles, with sweat and constant thinking, made others see my visions coming true. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. T. E. Lawrence - Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
I was going to post about many things, but part of me is thinking why? I could ramble on, perhaps even be entertaining, but is it self-indulgence? Perhaps I'll indulge, and ramble anyway. After all, "How do I know what I think, until I hear what I say?" as the quote from the woman from the book I can never place in mind has it.

We drove down to Poole and back to pick up a potter's wheel I had rashly bought on ebay for K's birthday. K drove - still no news on the driving licence. The roads were wonderfully quiet: the media hysteria had obviously put everyone off getting out of bed. On the way back we stopped for lunch at a pub called the Half Moon, which seemed apt. Very nice - so rare to be out just the two of us. We did our usual - scanned the menus, picked two dishes that would compliment, and then exchanged half each to make a balanced meal. Oh all right, if you must know, roast vege and linguini and pork ribs and 'fries'. What is it with 'fries'? Why can't they be honest and call them slim chips? Then this evening we tried watching a dvd from lovefilm called Ugestsu Monogatari - but the bloody thing froze halfway through! It was about a 17th C Japanese potter caught up in the civil wars. Rape, murder and pillage, and all they care about is the kiln and is it hot enough! Why do coincidences happen like that? And why is lovefilm so shoddy? (We don't have a telly, so we allow that little indulgence of a film a week).

Ok - I am boring myself so badly I feel like retching. I will stop. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

No comments: