Sunday, 4 October 2009

Comme ci comme ca

Just thought I'd give a wee update. Been in a horrid black turd-besmeared hole for a couple of weeks punctuated by manic spikes. Not too bad at the moment. Bit too intense for other peoples' comfort maybe, but alright in myself.

Hope you all are well. (You know what I mean.)



(by Kate, obviously. Sodbury Camp. How's that for a double-edged title for a photo? And bejesus if I have that many wrinkles at 38 what the hell will I look like if I get to sixty? The wrinkle soup that engulfed the earth? (Men are vain too.).)

p.s. found a complete Anne Sexton in a charity shop in Stroud yesterday.

Her Kind

I have gone out, a possessed witch,
haunting the black air, braver at night;
dreaming evil, I have done my hitch
over the plain houses, light by light:
lonely thing, twelve-fingered, out of mind.
A woman like that is not a woman, quite.
I have been her kind.

I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves:
whining, rearranging the disaligned.
A woman like that is misunderstood.
I have been her kind.

I have ridden in your cart, driver,
waved my nude arms at villages going by,
learning the last bright routes, survivor
where your flames still bite my thigh
and my ribs crack where your wheels wind.
A woman like that is not ashamed to die.
I have been her kind.

Other news? Not really. Just thankful I live in the howling wilderness where plod and the nosy neighbours don't tread in the night.

Dx

6 comments:

Borderline Lil said...

THANK YOU for the handsome sexy beast photo, but also for the reminder of one of my favourite poems. A woman like that is not ashamed to die. I have been her kind Glad to hear you're alright in ye-self, hope the wilderness keeps howling in the way you like it.

Morte said...

Ooh I recognise that weathered face, nice to 'see' you again!
I've been quite the reverse with varying results, most unexpected this time of year but making good use of manic productivity, to much consternation of those whose business it is to take notes on me. I don't think they can write fast enough.

Psychiatrist tomorrow though, it'll all come crashing down then. He's such an ignorant arrogant bastard with the interpersonal skills of a turd.

Outstanding find, one of my favorite poems there, and poet. Had noticed the burgeoning stock in my local charity shop with clothes and books anew, must visit without delay.

Best,
Morte

Kate said...

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear things are a bit intense. I recognise that place;I've been up and down like a fiddler's elbow for the last coupla weeks. I'm beginning to fancy a regular flat, inert depression instead - especially if it could be the 'sleep through it' variety. But then I only have myself to blame for refusing to swallow the pills. It'll pass - for the both of us.

I don't like people over the age of 30 without wrinkles. It makes me suspiscious - like people with smooth, unblemished hands. Have they not worked, lived nor tugged a gnarly root from the frozen clod?
Like the poem. I too found an Anne Sexton in my charity-shop last month. Selected rather than complete mind.

Taketh great care of yeself.
K.x

La-reve said...

Glad you are coming out of the pit and hoping autumn anfd approaching winter doesn't hit too hard. Sure season will make for some intresting photography. x

Louise H said...

nice photo, esp. like the black and white.
I like the poem, not one I've read before - it's a good thing bloggers like yourself kindly furnish me with such things, as I'm sure I'd be too lazy to go read a book of poems myself.

David said...

And I may be XY chromozone, but me too: A woman like that is not ashamed to die. I have been her kind. People who can't skip gender in their minds... well, I don't understand them.

Thanks all for the lovely comments. Sexy beast? I try not to be beastly. Hope the psych wasn't too irritating, Morte. Kate: wrinkles, agree - we'll all look younger when they're all older - the way it goes. LaReve - autumn is killing me at present, can't stand the sight of it - but you're right, should open my eyes, and close off that part of me that hates it. Bluesilk - happy to recommend stuff, only problem is it would be a full-time job for me... and then where would my wonderful prospects be?

And why do I want to murder the tories and labour simultaneously?

Sign this: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/AttendanceA/ Only a few days left. Here's the email I sent out earlier to friends:

"Sign the petition. http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/AttendanceA/ Tell your friends.

"Parties across the board are wanting to scrap Disability Living Allowance. This affects the most vulnerable members of society.

"There are only a few days left of the Green Paper consultation period. Write to your MP if you feel strongly enough.

"Sorry to bother you with touchy-feely rights-of-man stuff, but this is actually important.

"Love to all, David. (A disinterested party - never been well enough in the head to cope with the forms and hoops to claim it.)"

Actually. This should be a post.

Take care all, Dx