Saturday, 7 November 2009

Toe Warming and Bread Fermenting.

_ALC0319

Ten to five. I have nothing to say. If I start saying, then I'll spout shite. And we wouldn't want that now, would we, admit it, ladies and gents, we certainly wouldn't.

I'm good for some things though. Like making bread. Toasting toes. Wanting to make a 20" by 16" pinhole camera (each picture would cost approx £20 to produce - our weekly income after bills (not petrol) is only £180, and that's with three hungry boys going through food and clothes and food and shoes at £30 a shot and food and birthdays and food and christmas and weddings and funerals and flowers of condolence and food and and and etc etc etc)). And I thank whatever fates gave me a generous heart that doesn't begrudge anything that is essential. We scrape by. We're doing ok. "At least we're not starving in Africa." Etc. Pearl barley is actually quite nice when you work out how to make it nice. Gives me the awful runs though.

Bah. Il poverino... etc. Something seems to have happened to the cost of living over the last two years. When I was working, and on between 25 - 30K (less, incidentally, than we're on now, when tax is taken into account)... everything seemed cheaper and we had lots of money. Now we have pennies. It's food. Food has gone through the fucking roof.

Right! Pulses! Ha! Pulses! Pulses are the answer! We have SHELFFULLS!

Take care all. Dx

5 comments:

Kate said...

Fermenting bread? Is that the type you make sans yeast and then leave to fester on a window-sill for 2 weeks? Got some simular recipes from a macrobiotic cookbook - supposed to be good for you.
I calculated our income to be proportionately the same as yours (about £75-80 a week after utilities and communications have extorted their chunk). You're right about the cost of living. 6 years ago I was earning just about the same or even slightly less and was able to save-up for things like my computer, car-insurance and decent winter boots. These days I pull out £60 on a monday morning for provisions etc & put by £25 or so for kid's shoes, clothes, presents, petrol and other less frequent necessities. If there's a fiver miraculously spare by the weekend we can 'treat' ourselves.
Food is definately the culprit here - after the fuel bills.
We have alot of 'continental' grocers where you can buy 5 kg sacks of lentils for a few pounds so my diet consists largely of the windy-pulse (if one could just devise a domestic contraption for capturing the methene byproduct that might halve the gas-bill) and I'm something of an afficionado of the pease-pudding.
Of course I'd never advocate poverty as a source of moral-good but I've always approached it as a challenge to be increasingly resourceful and creative. Making fancy shopping bags out of dicount-shop T-towels for Xmas presents this year, and the fact that they look really rather natty and smart takes the sting out of not being able to afford the usual tat.
Money (or lack of it) certainly is a bitch but never one worth worrying about. Besides, the tables will turn one of these days and the likes of you and I will be rolling in it (make of 'it' whatever you like!)
Taketh care.
K.x

David said...

There are two things pigs roll in when they're happy, I think. Clover and I forget what the other is.

Blessings are to be counted etc.

I wish I had my old business back! Not many "p/t" 60K pro-rata positions out there at the moment!

Have a good weekend Kate. Dx

Ron said...

In the same boat. Discovered Freecycle not long ago and it has helped us get a new couch (well! - new to us) and a few other items as well. I would recommend you give it a look see - can't hurt. All those depression movies I used to watch with the families struggling to feed themselves - being turfed out by the mean old land lord - somehow doesn't seem to attractive to watch now. We started growing veg this summer in black tubs and had some nice produce when is was ripe - trick is to get it all year long. My grandparents knew all this stuff and I was too busy with my useless career to listen and learn from them. Good luck.

Mo said...

What a fantastic picture that is David! Forget the fallen leaves and the mists and frosts, that is the best picture of Autumn I have seen this year. I can feel the warmth.

H said...

Yep, I never remember food being so expensive before. Main difference for me now is probably buying sacks of cheap Pakistani basmati, and not Tilda anymore. Also my buying is very much dictated by what's on supermarket-offer, and quite a bit of consequent stocking-up. 4kg of onions are about a quid at my local Indian store so we get those... and whatever they're selling in the £1-a-bag bundles. In a way I quite enjoy the bargain-hunting...