Friday, 5 March 2010

I List the Signs

I list the signs

An appetite, gluttonous
as the aloof hog who lets droop
his long lashes across his eye
while feasting on sweet primroses.

Sweet swine - beloved of Venus, rootler,
swindler, garbed in arcane robes,
despoiler of the morning - force
your shame and conscience to the fore.

It shall not help. Before the day
is out this boar shall think he's special,
allow himself to take on graces,
til bacon day unsettles him.

I list the signs: the jester's motley,
the goat-ascendant, a brazen cock
that shocks the dawn, why blame a pig?
Be glad his nature is kept hid.

(2nd draft)

3 comments:

David said...

First attempt:

I list the signs

A carelessness of nature, ravenous,
insatiable, gluttonous
as the aloof hog who lets droop
his long lashes across his eye
so like an infant's, pitiless,
while feasting on sweet primroses.

This innocent could eat the world,
and then the sky. Sweet swine - beloved
of Venus, rootler, swindler, garbed
in symbolled robes of arcane lies,
despoiler of the morning - bring
your shame and conscience to the fore.

It shall not help. Before the day
is out this boar shall think he's special,
gifted, devout, a prophet to men,
allow himself to take on graces,
trample all cleanliness, until
his bacon day unsettles him.

I list the signs: the jester's motley,
the goat in his ascendant house,
a brazen cock that horrors dawn,
that saucy lucifer who palms his cards.
Why blame a pig? Be thankful his
ungentle nature is kept hid.

----

I love and fear the springtime.

Kate said...

Not sure if I've 'got' this just yet. Possibly too distracted by your brazen cock ;-)

Is the last line of the 1st draft 'I love and fear...' or was that just a separate (unconnected) remark because if it is/isn't, I might interpret things differently.

I tell you - I struggle with poetry. It frightens me.As does black and white photography and opera. I have a most unsubtle mind.
;-)

David said...

Ha. Last line was an afterthought. Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Have no idea where it sprang from - just the image of the child's eye and a pigs lashes started it. About the self-strangerness of temperament when things start to feel as if they are changing again.